Monday, June 22, 2009

Bees

Did you know that if all the bees in the world disappeared we would all die?!



Okay fine, I am a tad dramatic...however it is a fact that bees are declining due to ccd. without the bees to pollinate our food we would face a serious crisis. It wouldn't be and instant extinction for us but bees pollinate approx 15-30% of our food and about 15% of our foods food (I'm talking about livestock). This would significantly impact our food supplies. See now I know how I get when I am hungry....and then I think about when I used to waitress and when people get hungry people get mad. People get vicious and rude. Imagine that on a wide scale; there's not enough food to go around....There would be massive civil warring. Things would go downhill fast for the human race.


This is when I got this crazy idea to get some bees and be a beekeeper...in my backyard...(this was only about three short weeks after the babydoll lamb incident). Pfft I'll admit I get a lot of crazy ideas but, some of them are good! So I spend the whole day researching bees and the ccd problem and I decided I want bees. I have always really like them and maybe it would help their population. Well after I get my heart set on bees I go home and tell my parents about the idea. That's when things went south. My dad almost had a effing heart attack. we got into a pretty good screaming match about the damn bees. Sometimes I think I just get him all riled up because it makes my life more interesting.

Well, needless to say I have to put my dreams of bees on the back burner for now. I hope someday to be able to have bees though. Maybe even my own honey =) that would make me happy.


all photo's courtesy of Sylvan

No comments: